Chicken Cream Noodle Soup
I know this is hard to believe but after having this soup, Mike said it ranks almost as high with Buffalo Chicken Soup. This isn't the healthiest soup but Ive created the recipe to include healthier substitutes to help cut back on some of the dairy ingredients this soup calls for.
CROCKPOT OPTION: This soup can easily be done in a crockpot. Simply add all the ingredients chopped into a crockpot (except for the cream cheese) and let cook on high for at least 4 hours. Add Cream cheese in the last hour.
This soup is comfort food at its finest!
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
- 1 Large Bag of Large Whole Carrots, chopped
- 1 Large Yellow Onion, diced
- 6-8 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 2 lbs of Chicken Thighs (or breasts), cut up into bite size pieces or Use pulled chicken from a rotisserie chicken
- 1 Cup Buttermilk (HEALTHIER ALTERNATION: Use coconut milk, almond milk, low fat milk, or greek yogurt)
- 8-10 Cups of Chicken Stock or Chicken Bone Broth (I prefer half stock and half Bone Broth)
- 1 Bundle of Celery, chopped
- 1 Lemon
- 4 hand fulls of spinach
- 1 Box of Noodles ( I prefer elbow, bowtie, or spiral noodles)
- 6-8 oz of Cream Cheese
- 1 Cup of Shredded Cheddar
- 2 tbsp of Avocado Oil
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- Thyme to taste
- Parsley to taste
- Heat one pot of water in preparation for noodles. Chop all the veggies and chopped chicken. *TIP: Cook the noodles separately so that they don't soak up all the liquids in the soup. Add in the noodles to the individual bowls when serving.
- Add two tablespoons of either avocado oil or olive oil in the pot you plan on cooking the soup in. Then add and cook the chicken in the pot. After the chicken is done set aside in a bowl or plate. *Skip this step if you are using cooking rotisserie chicken
- In the same pot, add a tablespoon (if needed) of oil to the pot then sauté the onions and garlic. Once the onions become translucent add the rest of the veggies (except spinach).
- Cook until veggies soften, about 5 minutes. Then add the chicken. Then add 2 boxes of chicken stock. Add the squeezed after pouring the stock into the pot.
- After letting everything mix for a few minutes, add buttermilk, cream cheese, and cheddar cheese. Cut up the cream cheese into cubes before adding to the pot. Stir until mixed well. If you want a healthier option substitute buttermilk for lowfat milk, coconut milk, almond milk, or greek yogurt and use half the amount of cream cheese.
- Add in Seasonings then bring to a boil and then let simmer for 15-20 minutes
- Come back to your separate pot of boiling water that was set aside in the beginning and add the noodles of your choice. After they're done and have been drained, place them back in the pot they came from.
- After 15 minutes add in spinach to soup and let wilt.
- By now the soup should be simmering and mixed well enough to serve. Scoop a bowl of soup then add desired amount of noodles to the bowl of soup.