I few years back I swapped out low calorie “filler veggies” with nutrient rich veggies and it has been a game changer to my diet and my appetite. I recently made this power kale and brussel sprout salad and my husband and I immediate knew it was going to be a regular in our household. This recipe is super quick and easy to make and it can last in your fridge up to 3 days with the dressing and even longer without the dressing. This salad is perfect to bring as an appetizer to a party without the guilt of making everyone feel unhealthy.
The key to this recipe is to get the right type of kale. If you think of kale as bitter you probably have tried the wrong kind of kale. The best kale to get for salads is lacinato kale or tuscan kale. This kale can be found bagged at Trader Joe’s. The kale I purchased is below.
Shop My Outfit
The next trick in this recipe is to find shaved brussel sprouts. You can buy traditional brussel sprouts and chop them up, or you can purchase already shaved brussel sprouts for a few bucks at trader Joe’s.
This salad is packed with nutrients and if you take out the feta, it can be Whole30 Compliant. I love making this salad and topping it with grilled chicken. It leaves you full and happy.
The dressing is SUPER easy to make and you do not need any fancy food processor to make it. It is very light and reminds me of a warm summer day. If you want the salad to last longer, I would recommend putting the dressing in as you go. I recommend letting the dressing sit in the salad for 1-2 hours, but the first time I ate it immediately and it tasted great! It was super easy to make and below is show how much this recipe makes. I also linked the salad dressing container below too:
Shop My Kitchen Essentials
Shop My Outfit
*Jeans are no longer in stock, but I linked a similar pair that I also own*
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup Freshly squeezed lemon juice. (I used about 2-3 lemons)
- 1-2 Garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 tsp Sugar (or honey) I prefer honey
- 1 tsp salt (I prefer Pink Himalayan Salt)
- 3-4 lacinato/tuscan kale
- 1-2 cups shaved brussel sprouts (Trader Joes has them)
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup roasted or candied pecans
- 1 red apples ( I prefer fuji or granny smith)
- 1/2 cup Feta Cheese
- Make the dressing. Mix all ingredients into a cup or dressing container.
- Pour dressing onto kale per liking and Massage the kale with the dressing for 2-3 minutes. (or until soft)
- Add the rest of the salad ingredients.